- Episode 485: What’s your major? by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 8/20/2014; Duration: 16:45)
- could be used for courses taken by first-year students
- Nice information on salary by major and state: https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/valueofcollegemajors/#explore-data
- could also be used when covering labor market
- Episode 739: Finding the Fake News King/ by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 12/2/2016; Duration: 18:45)
- shows the importance of assessing the quality of news sources
Opportunity Cost and Benefits from Trade:
- Episode 963: 13,000 Economists. 1 Question by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 1/10/2020; Duration: 21:01)
- discusses concepts such as opportunity cost, thinking at the margin, and comparative advantage. It also includes more advanced topics such as causal inference and the lump of labor fallacy.
- Episode 755: The Phone at The End of The World by NPR Planet Money (Aired on: 7/17/2017; Duration: 19:23)
- showcases the benefits of trade and the danger of protectionist policies in Argentina
Demand and Supply shifts:
- The Pickle Problem by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 11/25/2015; Duration: 17:35)
- excellent for showing the power of markets
- Episode 962: Advanced Fairness At the Marathon by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 1/3/2020; Duration: 23:56)
- discusses the definition and importance of markets
- Episode 209 – Make Me a Match by Freakonomics (Aired on 12/20/2017; Duration 52:47)
- discusses both school admissions and organ transplants
- Episode 562: A Mall Divided by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 08/22/2014; duration: 12:54)
- great for minimum wage discussions and issues arising when adjacent counties/states have different min wages
- Does Raising the Minimum Wage Kill Jobs by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 3/4/2014: length: 4:32)
- given that the static model in most intro textbooks show that unemployment is created by price controls, this podcast shows that answering the question from is complicated and that research has shown mixed results.
- The Kansas Experiment by NPR Planet Monday (Aired on 01/11/17; Duration: 21:18)
- perfect when covering the Laffer Curve (Bonus: Laffer is interviewed in the podcast)
- Episode 945: The Liberty City by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 10/18/2019; Duration: 23:30)
- includes information on Von Ormy, Texas, a city that does not collect taxes
- When tariffs Hit Home by NPR Planet Money – The Indicator (Aired on 1/23/2019; Duration: 9:29)
- Tariffs and Tourists and Trade Wars, Oh My! by NPR Planet Money The Indicator Podcast (Aired on 9/26/2018; Duration: 9:34)
- Episode 833: Worst. Tariffs. Ever by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 3/30/2018; Duration: 21:06)
- Excellent review of the consequences of Smoot-Hawley tariff act of 1930.
- Episode 835: Tariffied by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 4/13/2018; Duration: 21:32)
- Did China Eat America’s Jobs? by Freakonomics Radio (Aired on 1/25/2017; Duration: 38:21)
- A more in-depth discussion about the consequences of trade and its benefits and costs.
- It includes a discussion about those that have been harmed by trade and policies that could be implemented to help them.
Externalities, Public Goods, and Common Resources:
- The Coase Theorem by Marginal Revolution (Published on 03/18/2015)
- Excellent video explaining the Coase Theorem in an intuitive way. I also assign it to complement the reading from the textbook.
- Episode 756: The Bees Go to California by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 02/24/2017; Duration 22:54)
- An application of the Coase Theorem, in which private markets emerged to internalize the positive externality of bee pollination
- “A climate solution where all sides can win” by Ted Halstead (TED Talk filmed in April 2017; Duration: 13:08)
- A proposal for carbon tax with a carbon dividend
- Climate Change is a Victim of the Tragedy of the Commons by NPR (Duration: 4:30)
Imperfect Competition (Monopoly, Monopolistic Competition, Oligopolies:
- Episode 579: Is the NCAA an Illegal Cartel? by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 10/25/2017; Duration: 19:34)
- Episode 787: Google is Big. Is that bad? by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 9/4/2017; Duration: 11:11)
- Episode 643: The Taxi King by NPR Planet Money (Aired on 5/23/2018; Duration 20:29)
- Goes over the taxi medallion model in NYC